‘Twas the Week After Christmas


‘Twas the week after Christmas and, with the house in disarray, the chaos was palpable, the kids did little but play. The stockings slumped empty under the tree, and without many plans, our hours were free. Scraps of wrapping paper were strewn across the living room floor. The used gift bags were piling up at the door. We all spent most of our time in pjs and munched leftover cookies that still sat on their trays. I thought about the baby in our olive wood manger, and leaving the mess felt like a no brainer. We’ll have other days to pack up the tree, to get back into a routine, for time that’s not free. I’ll try to enjoy this week that exists outside time. I’ll take time to rest even if it feels like a crime. Between sipping tea and breaking up sibling squabbles, There might even be time for starting a novel. So, for now, I’ll leave Christmas gifts strewn about the room: Lego and books and treats to consume. I’ll watch my kids dance around in a flurry. This week can stay; we’re not in a hurry.

Comments