Why We're Eating Frozen Chicken Pot Pie Tonight

 

Because it was on sale. Because I like it. Because my kids will eat it. Because I can bake dozens of things, but homemade pastry isn’t one of them. Because the family member with celiac disease doesn’t need dinner tonight. Because, gluten free pastry just isn’t the same. Because I’m the only adult home tonight with three kids. Because dinner from a box is easy. Because we had a busy day. Because I don’t always feel like cooking. Because we’re all just doing our best. Because frozen chicken pot pies remind me of dinner at my best friend’s house. Because staying for dinner at a friend’s house when you’re 12 is always better than homework. Because she’s the longest friend I’ve ever had. Because she lost her mom this year. Because her mom’s mind wasn’t a safe place. Because no one deserves addiction and mental illness. Because I think of her family every time I eat them. Because I wish her mom had been able to find all the help she needed. Because her mom fed us even though she was struggling. Because I never want to forget that about her.

____________________________________________

This post is part of a blog hop with Exhale—an online community of women pursuing creativity alongside motherhood, led by the writing team behind Coffee + Crumbs. Click here to view the next post in the series "A Question."

Comments